...my crazy life...
current mood - The current mood of TWBBmom at www.imood.com

Monday, January 19, 2009

17 days later...

That's right - 17 days after I talked to the claims loss guy, the person assigned to call me to get the title information *finally* deigned to call me back.

I told them to call my attorney.

I started hand therapy last week. My flexibility is "normal" in my right hand. Normal, however, being abnormal for me. Apparently, I'm hyper-flexible based on the measurements of my left hand. I also have diminished grip in my right hand, about a 1/3 of what I have on my left hand (and I'm right handed to boot, so it's my stronger hand).

It makes sense. If I don't use it, it doesn't hurt, but it's when I do things that require pressure or repetitive motion - cutting up food for cooking, washing dishes, stitching....still can't take off the gas cap with my right hand - that's when it hurts. The more I use it, the more it hurts when I'm done using it.

My therapist did introduce me to Biofreeze. OMG. This stuff is my new crack. Treating the site of pain without having to dope up my brain? Yes!

I'm also having shoulder pain (which they didn't refer me to treatment for - apparently if there's no pain when you push and pull on it, it doesn't raise interest - I'm going to talk to her about that at tomorrow's appointment because I need a better answer). Between the hand and the shoulder, stitching and dancing are pretty painful activities after about 30 minutes of use.

Well, I loaded up on the Biofreeze when I left the Murder Mystery show Saturday night to go dancing. Hallelujiah! Because I couldn't feel the pain in my right shoulder, I wasn't tensing up so I could read tells better and was back to dipping like I was born to do it. But by the end of the night, when the pain meds and Biofreeze wore off, I was in excruciating pain. My wrist was throbbing and I felt like I got kicked in the shoulder. Worth it? Absolutely.

Apparently, it's not the worst course of action either. If I just sit on my butt and wait for this type of injury to heal, it's probably going to heal badly and I'll never have the range of motion I used to have. Better to keep it moving and flexible and keep encouraging growth of my range of motion.

So yay for Biofreeze, which made Saturday night possible!


Posted by Valerie at 3:30 PM



design by may